Applicant Dispute

How do I update information that was reported?

In very rare instances, criminal records could be disclosed that were not correct from the county where the court record was reported. In any and all instances, we want our background investigations to be completely accurate. If the applicant believes that infomation that was reported was incorrect, we are always willing to review the application and make nessessary changes to reflect the accurate information. Usually, we will ask for authentic court documents that prove the information the court was reporting is no longer factual. 

If the infomation reported is not correct in the credit report, then you will need to contact the credit bureau and start a "dispute" with them. We always recommend contacting us before starting the dispute, because may be able to file a dispute for you to speed up the process. 


Please contact customer service for assistance with a dispute at or 877-922-2577.

related articles